Discover Currumbin // Discover Southern Gold Coast.
From the Valley to the Alley, Currumbin offers the best of both worlds. The rolling surf of Currumbin Alley is perfect for beginners and learners; and on the other side of Currumbin Rock, Currumbin beachfront offers a consistent wave for more advanced surfers. Currumbin was recently named Australia’s Cleanest Beach, and is perfect for beach walks, with a patrolled area for swimming in the clear blue waters.
Mention Currumbin and many Queenslanders will instantly forage for their photo of Currumbin Alley or a rainbow lorikeet perched on their head at the famous Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. It would be almost sacrilegious to start a story on Currumbin without mentioning the Wildlife Sanctuary, for not only was it one of the earliest theme parks on the Gold Coast, but it has been entertaining visitors here for more than 60 years. These days it's not all about the birds, but a range of wildlife dotted throughout 27 hectares of eucalypt and rainforest where you'll find crocodiles, kangaroos, koalas and marsupials.
While you're at it, don't forget to pay a visit to nearby Superbee Honeyworld. It would be tempting to think Currumbin is all about the sanctuary but there are plent of other highlights to be had here too. For those who love the beach and the surf, Currumbin is also home to Surf World Gold Coast, an attraction which pays homage to the coast's surfing history.
And now for the scenic attractions and dining with a view - drive along the foreshore and you'll encounter Elephant Rock, an iconic giant rock which, as the name suggests, looks like an elephant. Some of the coast's best dining views can be experienced here from Currumbin Beach Vikings Surf Club perched right ON the ocean. It doesn't end there with Elephant Rock Cafe or The Beach Shack - both a bit of an institution around these parts. Plus there's many more smaller cafes to choose from along here as well.
For more to eat, travel a little further around and follow the gorgeous Currumbin Creek. And there's our little gem - Currumbin RSL. Currumbin RSL is a Services Club located on the banks of the Currumbin Creek, employing 150 staff across the award-winning facility’s restaurants, bars, gaming, functions and Veterens services. The Club was recently crowned Best Club in Queensland, and is involved in many community activities around the Southern Gold Coast. Every year the Currumbin RSL holds the Anzac Day Dawn Service at Elephant Rock at Currumbin – now the largest regional Dawn Service in the country, and televised on Channel 7’s Sunrise program.
Now you've seen the coastline, you need to see the Valley. Highlights of this Currumbin Valley include the cooling Currumbin Rock Pools for a swim and Camp Eden for the health conscious. The Mount Cougal section of Springbrook National Park sits at the end of Currumbin Creek Road. There's also plenty of galleries teaming with pottery and arts and crafts in which if, you look carefully, your own genie may await!
- Gold Coast Airport - Site 20, Gold Coast Airport, Domestic Arrival Terminal, 1 Terminal Drive, Bilinga, Qld 4225. T: 07 5536 4709. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Surfers Paradise - 2 Cavill Ave (Cavill Mall), Surfers Paradise Qld 4217. T: 1300 309 440. E: email@example.com
for the kids, and so many local alfresco dining options and Coolangatta, Kirra, Currumbin, Palm Beach and Burleigh.
Major Gold Coast Shopping Centres
Our Local Shopping Centres
- Robina Town Centre - 19 Robina Town Centre Dr, Robina QLD 4230
- Pacific Fair - Hooker Blvd, Broadbeach QLD 4218
- Harbour Town Outlet Shopping Centre - 147-189 Brisbane Road, Biggera Waters QLD 4216
- The Pines Elanora - 13-31 Guineas Creek Rd, Elanora QLD 4221
- The Strand Coolangatta - 72-80 Marine Parade, Coolangatta QLD 4225
- Centro Tweed - Wharf St & Bay Street, Tweed Heads NSW 2485
- Tweed City - 54 Minjungbal Dr, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
The Gold Coast is well serviced by:
The nearest train station is at Varsity Lakes, with trains running to and from Brisbane - the approximate travel time from Varsity Lakes to Brisbane is around 90 minutes for the 85km trip. See Queensland Rail/Translink
for train timetables.
Medical facilities in the region include:
- The Pines Family Practice - 38-39 K P McGrath Dr, Elanora QLD 4221. T 07 5598 1300
- Currumbin Medical Centre - 1 Fielding St, Currumbin QLD 4223. T 07 5534 1977
- Tugun Family Medicine - 451 Golden Four Dr, Tugun QLD 4224. T 07 5534 1544
- John Flynn Private Hospital - 42 Inland Dr, Tugun QLD 4224. T 07 5598 9000
- The Tweed Hospital - Powell St & Florence Street, Tweed Heads NSW 2485. T 07 5536 1133
- Gold Coast University Hospital - 1 Hospital Blvd, Southport QLD 4215. T 1300 744 284
KINDIES AND PRE-SCHOOLS
- Aussie Kindies Tugun - 32 Toolona St, Tugun QLD 4224. T 07 5534 2246
- Goodstart Currumbin - 189 Galleon Way, Currumbin QLD 4223. T 1800 222 543
- A Headstart Currumbin - 28 Currumbin Creek Rd, Currumbin Waters QLD 4223. T 07 5534 3355
- C & K Elanora - 3 Park Ct, Elanora QLD 4221. T 07 5534 6117
- C & K Coolangatta - 31 Miles St, Coolangatta QLD 4225. T 07 5536 2130
- Elanora State School - K P McGrath Dr, Elanora QLD 4221. T 07 5559 9222
- Currumbin Primary School - 6 Philip St, Currumbin QLD 4223. T 07 5559 6333
- St Augustines Parish Primary - Galleon Way, Currumbin Waters QLD 4223. T 07 5598 8730
- Palm Beach Currumbin State High School - Thrower Dr., Palm Beach QLD 4221. T 07 5525 9333
- Elanora State High School - Nineteenth Ave & Avocado Street, Elanora QLD 4221. T 07 5568 4333
- Marymount College - 261-283 Reedy Creek Rd, Burleigh Waters QLD 4220. T 07 5586 1000
- Somerset College - Somerset Dr, Mudgeeraba QLD 4213. T 07 5559 7100
- Kings Christian College - 68 Gemvale Rd, Reedy Creek QLD 4227. T 07 5587 7600
Southern Cross University, Gold Coast Campus
, is conveniently located at Bilinga - Southern Cross Drive. Call 07 5589 3000
or visit their website
The Gold Coast is the home of the Titans (NRL), The Suns (AFL). With games held on the Gold Coast throughout the seasons, you can support your team by getting tickets at Ticketek
There are many surf clubs up and down the coast in most major suburbs, including Currumbin and Tugun. The Betty Diamond Sporting Complex is home to Tugun Leagues Club
, where you can catch the local derby some Sundays during the rugby league season. Palm Beach-Currumbin Australia Football Club
is another place to catch the locals go head to head.
It's not just all football, we have a huge range of sport to try including athletics, swimming, basketball, netball, baseball and event marathon events just to name a few. Queensland Government has listed the full range here
According to Australia Post Office History, the word Currumbin means high up or palce where high trees grow. Currumbin is derived from kurrohmin, meaning Kangaroo.
In the old days of travel along the coast there was a ford across the creek at Currumbin which could be negotiated at low tide, but had to be carefully taken owing to the quicksand which was prevalent in Currumbin Creek. In the late 19th century, coaches took mail and passengers from Southport over the Nerang River via Meyers Ferry. They travelled along the beach using tital crossings at Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creeks to finally reach Coolangatta/Tweed Heads.
The Nerang to Tweed Rail line opened in 903 and with improved access, a number of pioneer families settled and developed farms around the estuary and in the Currumbin Valley or Currumbin Creek area.